Orthodox Vocation Resources
- Christ at Work: Orthodox Christian Perspectives on Vocation, ed. Ann Bezzerides. In this volume, theologians seeped in Eastern and Orthodox traditions of Christianity write expressly on the topic of vocation. Khaled Anatolios, Deborah Malacky Belonick, John Barnet, Stanley Samuel Harakas, Demetrios S. Katos, Paul Meyendorff, Theodore Stylianopoulos, and Paul Nadim Tarazi offer wisdom for those who seek to know Christ at work in the world and in their lives. Read more. Purchase online. Free study guide .
- What is the Orthodox Christian Theological Exploration of Vocation? Ann Bezzerides, Director of the Office of Vocation and Ministry at Hellenic College, lays out the questions that are guiding this exploration on this campus, for the Orthodox Christian Fellowship grant programs, and for the high school summer program, CrossRoad.
- CrossRoad Resources in Praxis Magazine: The Spring 2009 volume of Praxis magazine, published by the Dept. of Religious Education of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese, featured two articles on the educational and programmatic philosophy of the CrossRoad summer institute.
- Our Youth and Their Vocation: Holy Decisions at the CrossRoad of Life is a booklet that concisely sets forth our understanding of vocation, the difficulties of living in modern American culture, and helpful tools for parents and youth workers alike, who struggle to raise youth towards a life in Christ.
- Vocation & Parenting: An Audio Resource. Addressing the topics "The Vocation of Parenting" and "Parenting for Vocation," this resource is geared for the parents of Orthodox Christian high school and college-age youth but has relevant wisdom for all Christians.
- Vocation and the Feast of the Annunciation, a sermon by Nicholas Belcher, Assistant Director of the Office of Vocation & Ministry, at St. George Greek Orthodox Church in Greenville, SC. Nick preaches on how the Mother of God models the way in which we should follow God's call in our lives.
- “Finding One’s Calling In Life” by Fr. Thomas Hopko, Dean Emeritus of St. Vladimir’s Orthodox Theological Seminary, was originally presented in 1997 at St. Vlad’s annual Orthodox Education Day.
- Bible Study on Vocation, Calling and Ministry.
Thursday mornings, Spring 2005, the OVM sponsored Bible Studies on Vocation, Calling and Ministry led by Fr Euguen Pentiuc and Fr Theodore Stylianopoulos. Audio recordings of several of these studies are available for you to download and listen to on your own time. If you find them interesting and/or useful, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- “Seek First His Kingdom: An Invitation to Christian Vocation” by Dr John Barnet was initially presented to the Hellenic College faculty and will be published in an upcoming collection Orthodox Christian Theologians on Vocation.
- “Patristic Quotes on Vocation,” compiled by Anthony J. Cook, a graduate student at Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology, currently has quotes from the Desert Fathers and The Ladder of Divine Ascent. We will be continually adding to this compilation, so please check back!
- For an introductory rumination on Orthodoxy and Vocation, check out “In the Image of His Son: An Orthodox Meditation on Vocation” that Anthony Cook wrote as well.
- “Our Favorite Quotes on Vocation” is a variety of quotes from Orthodox theologians that have been collected by the CrossRoad program staff. CrossRoad is a 10-day summer program for Orthodox high school youth on the campus of Hellenic College/Holy Cross.
- “Individual Employment and Our Identity as Orthodox Christians” is a statement from the 1972 Clergy-Laity Congress in Houston, TX, and is taken from Stanley S. Harakas' Let Mercy Abound.
- Warren Farha: Owner of Eighth Day Books
The following narrative Warren Farha shared with the Wichita State Orthodox Christian Fellowship as part of their Vocation Retreat. It is the story of how he discerned his life’s vocation and runs an Orthodox Christian Bookstore.
- Warren Farha: Owner of Eighth Day Books
About the OVM
The Office of Vocation & Ministry (OVM) at Hellenic College trains and educates faithful, energetic, high achieving, and service oriented Orthodox Christian young people to be leaders in the
church as priests and lay people.
Other News and Events
CrossRoad June Session:
June 17-27, 2017
CrossRoad Session 2:
July 5-15, 2017
OVM programs are made possible through the generous assistance
of the following organizations: